HR Interview Questions for Freshers with best Answers and Examples Best way to answer frequently asked HR Interview Questions for Freshers on Questions like Tell me about yourself, Why should we hire you, your strengths and weaknesses, how to handle challenging situation, your hobbies and interests, inspiring person in your life, change management, flexibility, Why do you want to work for us, about the company, expectations from your first job etc. Before we start, remember that, in a HR interview, there is no right or wrong answer. All you have is a right way of answering, but the answer in itself depends on the candidate.
Hello, how are you today ?
This is more of a “make yourself comfortable” statements. Answer with a pleasant smile. If you had any trouble during the day, don’t hesitate to mention it. But make sure you express it in a positive note.
- “I am very well today sir, thank you”.
- “I am very well today sir, just that the traffic here is bit of a hassle. But I made sure, I start a bit early to beat it.”
Tell me about yourself.
The FIRST & BEST question for any HR interview. The answer to this basically sets the tone of rest of the interview. Good news is – You can earn a lot of points if this is answered right.
- Give a brief of your education background (up to plus two is fine, your family and location, any of your hobbies etc.
- You can also mention one of your major achievements, if it fits the circumstance.
- Keep the answer to just about 3-4 sentences and not more than that.
- No need to explain your strengths & weakness at this points (as that will definitely come along).
- A common mistake seen is most HR interview is to start the sentence like “I am basically from…” No need to start a sentence like that.
- Keep the answer simple, to the point and give space and time for further questions. Do not stretch it too much.
“Hi I am Sajin from Bangalore. I did my B.Tech in electronics and communication from Rameswara College of engineering, which is under Bangalore University. I had completed my plus two from Chinmaya Vidhya Mission School and secured 98% in CBSE Boards. I have four members in my family and I am the youngest son. I love outdoor sports, specifically athletics and was a member of college athletic team.”
What are your key strengths ?
This is another most common question in any HR interview. The idea here is to understand how much you know about yourself and how confident you are about your strengths.
- Just stay positive. Even a simple answer like “I am a very positive person” is good enough.
- You can also change this as per the requirement of the interview. Knowing a bit about the profile you are being interviewed helps as well.
- Explaining your strength with an experience from the past is desirable here.
Also Read : Awesome examples and tips to answer Strengths and Weaknesses interview question
- “Sir, my greatest strength is my ability to learn things quickly. For example, I had to represent my college in an inter college science exhibition, and was introduced to the team at the very last minute. I was able to understand our exhibits and artifacts and present them with great success”.
- “I think my greatest strength is my positive attitude, even during the most hardest of times. During my college project, there has been couple of occasions, when our idea was not falling in place and the results were negative. I had to believe and think positively and keep my team motivated to persist on our idea, and finally we got the desired result.”
- “My best skill would be my verbal ability and articulation skill. I have worked as editor for our college magazine and have been involved with various literary forums during my school and college days.
What is one thing, which you want to improve about yourself ? (OR) what are your weaknesses ?
This is a trick question. The expectation here is to answer a negative trait with a positive twist. Something which in general a weak point of a person, but is alright from an organization perspective.
- “I tend to try to take up too many things, leaving little time for myself.”
- “I am a perfectionist and sometimes, concentrate too much on one single task to get it to perfection, using up time from other tasks”.
- “I tend to say Yes, when someone asks for help. I am working on learning to say No at times”.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now ?
- “I would like to see myself donning one of the senior positions in the organization contributing to technology as well as participating in business growth. I am hoping, I can position myself with relevant experience by then.”
- “As a fresher, I am assuming by first five years will be a huge learning curve. I want to absorb much of the industry knowledge and also to sharpen my technical abilities. In next five years I see myself playing various roles in the team from a developer to leading a team.”
- “I would like to see myself as a technical architect in next five years. My core competency is with technologies, and I would like to work and contribute in the field of most recent technologies and advancements. I would like to get take up some of the major technology certifications”
Have you been in some challenging situation ? Explain how you handled it ?
This is usually an add-on question to explain your strengths that you mention previously. This is good opportunity to give a suitable example, as to why you mentioned what your strengths are.
- “Yes, we did have some challenging situation during our final semester project delivery. Usually the kind of code logic we were trying to implemented, works with a 64bit processor, while we were trying to make it work with a lower configuration, due to budgetary constraints”. Theoretically it was possible, but result was not coming through and the team wanted to give up and upgrade the hardware. I was positive, that this will work and that we stick to the plan and figure out our actual problem. It took some effort to convince my team, a lot more hard work and few extra hours of reading, but finally we stayed positive and cracked the issue and delivered the project.
The above example, explains your strength like Positive thinking, hard work etc.
- “I have a huge passion for sports and have been a regular member of college athletic team. There was an event coming up slightly ahead of one of our exam schedule. Although our coach said, I can skip the competition, I was sure I can win points for the college. So I decided, I will put in extra time in studies late evenings, while also practicing and attending the event. I had to stretch a bit physically & mentally, and also manage my time tightly. But finally I was able to win the tournament and also come out with good scores in exam.
The above showcases, you multitasking capability, time management, passion for things and hard work.
Why should we hire you ?
As a fresher, you can’t commit to any expertise in any specific domain. So this question is intended to understand what quality of yours will be helpful most for the company. Knowledge about company and what quality of yours suits the organization, is the key to answer this. In case you don’t know much about the company, quick learning ability, flexibility, team player etc are few common qualities that will fit any organizational needs.
- “I have had some internships and industry exposure. So being a fresher, it will still be easy for me adapt to the new environment, which is significantly lessen my training cost.”
- “I have a sharp learning curve, which will help company ramp me up quickly as a productive resource. An example of my learning curve is my final year project, where I have worked on a short time frame on an entirely new technology”
- “I am a strong team player a good leader. I have been leading teams for technical and cultural activities during my college days. In your company I will be a great player within any challenging team and provide leadership when opportunity arises”.
What are your hobbies and interests ?
You cannot say, you don’t have any other interests, other than academics. Even if you are very studious, your answer should include reading non-textbooks and following cutting edge stuffs in technology. A company looks for a candidate who are more rounded and keeps diverse interests in life. Identify one of your interests other than academics and prepare answer based on that (Don’t include eating, watching TV, sleeping etc.)
- “I love singing and I also play instruments like Guitar.”
- “Outdoor sports is my interest. Specifically cricket”
- “I am a numismatist (coin/ currency collector). I have been doing it since school days”
Who is the most inspiring person in your life
- “My greatest inspiration is Sachin Tendulkar. He had such a humble upbringing & his hard work took him to the greatest heights in the world of sports. He still keeps himself rooted and stays humble. I also believe in hard work and humility”.
- “My greatest inspiration is my dad. He has always thought me to not worry about my weakness and take most advantage of my strengths. This has developed a lot of confidence in me during difficult times.”